Goals – we all have them.
I have them, my friends have them, most successful people have them, businesses have them and hopefully you do as well. While we may have different definitions of what success looks like everyone wants to accomplish what they initially set out to achieve.
But if you were to take a survey and ask a hundred people if they reached their goals probably half would say no! Why do they seem to allude so many of us?
Check out these 7 misconceptions that could be stopping you:
1. IT’S TOO LATE TO REACH THEM. It’s never too late but the world has a way of convincing us differently. If you don’t reach your goals in two months four days and seven hours then according to the “experts” your system is broken!
Of course I’m being a little facetious but I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met who felt that it just too late for them. Remember, many of the world’s most successful individuals didn’t get started until later in life. Colonel Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken in his sixties!
2. YOU HAVE TO WORK INSANE HOURS. Most successful people do work a lot of hours but that’s primarily because they enjoy what they’re doing. But of course you certainly don’t have to follow that path (unless you equally love what you do).
It’s important to spend time doing things that help you move forward in a positive direction but sacrificing your family time, fun or just some good old fashion rest and relaxation is down right ludicrous and defeats the purpose.
3. IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO REACH YOUR GOALS. It depends on what you’re doing. If you want to become a doctor, it will probably take a while. But if your goal is to double your income, get out of debt, open a business and make money, create two addition streams of income, etc.. well, that could be a much quicker journey depending on you and your expertise.
There are so many things can be accomplished quickly with a good action plan. Your job is to stay focus and determined and you will see your dreams come to fruition… if you don’t quit!
4. YOU NEED A LOT OF MONEY TO REACH YOUR GOALS. This is definitely not true. Yes…it may be beneficial to have money to support your idea and goals but it doesn’t take money to reach them. Hustle, determination, vision, and the ability to work with others is ten times more valuable then having currency.
Personally I believe that a rock solid commitment to the goal will produce more success than someone having a lot of dough at their disposal.
5. YOU’LL ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS IF YOU GO AT IT ALONE. Success rarely happens in isolation. You’ll probably need help along the way. Partnerships, joint ventures, favors, and mentors are often part of becoming successful. Hopefully, you’ll be able to pay it forward and help someone else on their road to success someday.
6. A LACK OF EDUCATION OR COMING FROM A CERTAIN BACKGROUND IS A DISADVANTAGE. Successful people come from all backgrounds and levels of education. In fact, a disproportionate number of people who reached their highest goals didn’t complete college!
Having a certain background and education can provide different opportunities but there’s always alternative paths to reaching your goals. History is filled with success stories of those with serious disadvantages.
7. YOUR GOAL IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL. Most people think that they when they reach their target that will be it but that’s rarely the case. Success is the condition of having met your goals. It isn’t a goal in itself. The journey is really the ultimate goal because growth, personal development, maturity, discipline, perseverance and so much more is realized on your way to the goal.
If you have goals (and I know you do) I’m putting out a challenge for you to revisit, review and/or renew them. You have been given that assignment for a reason. Don’t let outside noise and inside voices stop you from what lives in your heart. You can achieve your goals no matter what, you just have to believe it then begin walking into your destiny.
Shawn Dorrough - The WealthShift Strategist
Need a simple philosophy for creating Financial Freedom? Click here for information on the WealthShift Mastery Program.